(SHELDON, TX) August 23, 2023 – The Sheldon Fire Department successfully contained a grass fire burning in the 9300 block of E. Sam Houston Pkwy N. to 10 acres.
Officials on the scene determined that the fire was caused by improperly discharged smoking materials. The incident highlights the critical importance of proper disposal of smoking materials, especially during dry conditions.
The local authorities urge everyone not to discard smoking materials out of vehicles while driving. The current dry vegetation and high fuel loads mean that even a small spark can ignite a fire that takes off quickly. The containment of the fire underscores the department’s rapid response and the community’s role in preventing such incidents through responsible behavior.
Residents and visitors are reminded to exercise caution and adhere to local regulations regarding smoking and the disposal of smoking materials, particularly in areas where the risk of fire is elevated.