If this page has taught you anything, it is that you need a permit to work at IAH and HOU. So how do you go about getting one quickly?
Be forewarned, you do have to wait a couple months for the permit to come in. If your permit expires in April, you should be applying now. This way, when May 1st comes, you will have your permit with little delay, aka quickly!
In all seriouness, HAS has made it really simple to get. Before this new process, we had to pay to park at the airport, walk around Terminal A to a shady side door and hope we had all of our documents that they needed. Now, they tell you exactly what you need, they review the documents online and then approve you to drive into the TNC lot and pick it up. It really can’t get more simple than that.
The permit is completely free, so there is no reason why you can not get it.
Don’t be that person that gets caught with a copy of their friends permit, using scotch tape to hold it to the windshield! (yes, this does happen)
So how exactly does one go about getting one?
First, you have to apply on-line for the commercial vehicle permit including the TNC (Uber/Lyft) Permit.
- create an account
- click “permits and licensing”
- apply on line
- jurisdiction is Houston Airports
- project type is Transportation Permits
- click “Get Started on a New Application”
- Select an Application Type “(TNC) Transportation Network Company”
- Enter your address
- Enter your complete information if you are the driver. Business Name is Uber or Lyft.
- Files to be uploaded are: Current copy of your driver’s license, your current vehicle liability insurance, and current vehicle registration. All are required to be current with dates clearly visible.
- Once all fields are complete then “submit”. We will contact you for a time for you to come to the permitting office to obtain your TNC Permit.
You will receive an email with a link to schedule a time for you to come and pick up your permit. Please bring your active app on your cell phone and your original documents.
That is all you need to do. Plan ahead and you will get your permit quickly, when it is time to renew.